Since I need to operate on a sequence of symbols between spaces I'd like to know which text object defines it. Here is an example:

45908 Sep 24 21:31 [r].t3891993.tr some another text.

In visual mode I'd like to mark [r].t3891993.tr, but simply typing i<SPACE> doesn't work. How to define such a text object?

UPD: That's not just about visual mode. In normal mode it would be very useful for me as well.

1 Answer 1


I believe you are looking for the WORD text object.

From :h WORD:

A WORD consists of a sequence of non-blank characters, separated with white space. An empty line is also considered to be a WORD.

This is signified by a capital "W". I.E. use viW to mark the text in visual mode.

In normal mode you could yank the text with yiW.

For more info see :h iW and :h WORD.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.