I'm new to vim and stuck in one of these windows; I couldn't move to the others. window screen shot They are not tabs; I tried :tabnew to make sure.

How can I move between them? What are they called?

  • 1
    do you mean windows and please see :h window-move-cursor Commented Nov 7, 2021 at 13:15
  • if you add set mouse=a to your config, you can place your cursor on one of the windows using your mouse.
    – jdhao
    Commented Nov 7, 2021 at 16:02

1 Answer 1


They are called 'windows' see :help windows

To move between them, use ctrl + w + j/k/h/l (see :help window-move-cursor, which is section 4 of the general help above)

Useful info from a different answer of mine

It is very useful to grasp the concept of buffers vs tabs vs windows in vim, since most other editing environments use tab pages in the same way that vim uses buffers...

See :help 22.4 and :help windows and :help tabpage to sort out how they relate to each other. Also see this blog post that lays out the differences well.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.