TL;DR It's not possible to do it as you expect but there is one alternative using text-based web browsers.
First let's understand what this plugin does on a very high level view:
- A web browser is not able to display a raw markdown file: to see your markdown file in your browser you need to convert it to html and then open this html file in your browser.
- When you open the html file in the browser you see it formatted (bold titles, formatted lists, etc) because the primary function of your browser is to render html code into graphics.
- So what the plugin does (most likely, I didn't inspect the sources deeply) when you are editing a markdown file:
- First it starts a local webserver which will serve your html file
- When you edit your markdown file it recomputes the resulting html and makes sur the webserver serves this html file. This way you can navigate to
127.0.0.1:8894 (the address of the local webserver) to see the result in a browser
- It does a bit of additional magic to synchronize your scrolling and some other stuff
This is how you get your preview in a browser. Now you want the rendered graphics in a vim window: This can not be done because vim is able to render text only it can not render graphics. That's why the answer to your question is "No you can't do that"
However there might be a trick:
As @Matt suggested some web browsers are text based. This means that they can take a html file and render it as text. This means that you can open a web browser. For example if you open this webpage (which is an html file) in a text-based browser you'll see something like this:
One example of a text-based web browser is links
So if that is good enough for you, you can use the markdown-preview plugin to start the webserver and serve your markdown converted to html file and then you can open the text-based web browser in a vim window.
Also as a final note: The plugin that you linked is deprecated and the author recommends to use the newer version markdown-preview.nvim which is also compatible with Vim, I would encourage you to use this plugin instead unless you are sure that the old version has all the features you need and doesn't have bugs which would impact you.