My custom highlighting styles for Visual mode selection of text is not as it was. It use to be yellow background with black text. Now it is just underlined.
vim 8.0 term, not the gui version. Mac OS 10.12.6, iTerm2 3.2.3, Terminal 2.7.3
- I have tried iTerm2 and Terminal
- I have tried zsh and bash
- I have tried in and out of a Tmux session (I pretty much live in a tmux session)
- I have started it with no rc file
vim -u NONE
- I have tried different themes (I use a custom theme)
- I have unset every environment variable I can think of that might be messing with it;
SHELL, and many many more.
- Manually set
:highlight Visual cterm=reverse ctermbg=NONE(no change at all)
:verbose hi Visual?returns
highlight group not found: Visual?
- I manually set
- I manually set the syntax and have played with different file types, and they are all the same. (python, dockerfile, json, yml, js, css, etc)
When this happened
After a crash. I had it up for 100+ days, and was overworking it like crazy and it just went blank and rebooted.
Current conclusion based on troubleshooting results
So based on the troubleshooting I have done, I think it is safe to say it is not the terminal or terminal configuration/themes/colors/etc, it is not the type of shell, it is not tmux, it is not the vimrc file, it is not the colorscheme, or it is doesn't seem to be environment variable related. I could be wrong, maybe I was not thorough enough with my tests. But I literally saw 0 difference with all of the listed troubleshooting.
Next steps / Remaining questions
What confuses me and I'm very suspicious of is the
:verbose hi Visual? returns
highlight group not found: Visual?. What would cause this? I can't seem to find it from searching here and google.
Am I missing something? Do you guys have any further suggestions? I do have an additional question for troubleshooting. I have used this for designing my custom colorscheme. Where you can set your cursor over some text and get vim to tell you what the highlight syntax is. Is there a way to do that for when you are in Visual mode and have selected text? Because if
Visual is missing and manually setting is not changing it, I'm thinking that it is possibly just styled based on another highlight.