When I press ^K in my vim while I'm in insertion mode a '?' appears and then if I press a and then another character some strange characters appear the following are a few of the characters I could get that way:


So What is happening here?

1 Answer 1


It allows you to enter a digraph — it's a method of entering a more extensive range of Unicode characters using pairs of keystrokes. (See :h digraphs)

For future reference, you can find out what insert mode keystrokes do with commands such as: :h i_CTRL-K.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.