0

This question already has an answer here:

I recently upgraded my system VIM to 8.0.0893 (stable) from the system default 7.4 using Homebrew and including the --with-override-system-vi. After doing so I confirmed that I was now using VIM 8.0.

I then tried to edit a file I had created when I was using VIM 7.4 (my .bash_profile). I was able to enter insert mode by pressing i, and I was able to add new characters and delete what I had added just then.

However, when I tried to delete old characters (i.e. aliases I had added prior to upgrading to VIM 8.0, etc.) I was unable to do so (nothing happened). I tried entering append mode using a as well and got the same result. I was able to delete lines using dd, so I don't think it's an issue where the file is somehow locked, and I could save my changes fine.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might have happened? I am using the system default bash

GNU bash version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin16)

For the time being I have reverted back to VIM 7.4 by uninstalling the Homebrew VIM and restarting my Terminal, and that has fixed the issue. Feel free to ask for any other relevant details.

EDIT: below is my .vimrc, which I have confirmed is being loaded by the homebrew version of VIM.

set nocompatible
set wildmode=list,full
set ruler
set number
set hlsearch 
syntax on
set mouse=a

marked as duplicate by jamessan, Rich, grodzik, Community Aug 14 '17 at 13:41

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

migrated from stackoverflow.com Aug 13 '17 at 7:21

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

  • You probably meant --with-override-system-vi because the option --with-override-system-vim doesn’t exist. You could try to brew install vim@7.4 to see if it’s an issue with the version or with the way Homebrew installs it. – bfontaine Aug 11 '17 at 15:46
  • 4
    :help backspace – romainl Aug 11 '17 at 16:25
  • @bfontaine thanks for pointing out the typo. I just tried it using vim@7.4 --with-override-system-vi and that didn't work either. I should note that I have to call "vi" in order to access the homebrew version of vim. – Korin Carpenter Aug 13 '17 at 2:05
  • :set nocp and please read the help how to enable no-compatible mode – Christian Brabandt Aug 13 '17 at 12:10
  • @ChristianBrabandt no-compatible is already enabled in my .vimrc. In addition, I just tested turning ":set nocp" manually to confirm, and it does not fix the issue. – Korin Carpenter Aug 13 '17 at 17:18

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.