For some reason when I change my colorscheme it doesn't seem to change all the syntax elements, or changes them to a completely different color than they should be. I know the problem isn't about the color capability of my terminal: when I
echo $TERM I get
xterm-256color. I've also tried the command
set t_Co=256 before changing the colorscheme and it doesn't work.
The color differences seem to be vaguely similar to how they are in this question but I'm running mingw on windows and the comparison is between what I have and an online screenshot of what it's supposed to look like
So far the worst scenario has been with the macvim-light colorscheme:
but when I change the colorscheme it looks like this:
As you can see there's a huge difference between these two.
As this answer suggests I ran
:scriptnames among the files that came up, there seemed to be something possibly relevant in
if &background == "dark" SynColor Comment term=bold cterm=NONE ctermfg=Cyan ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=#80a0ff guibg=NONE SynColor Constant term=underline cterm=NONE ctermfg=Magenta ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=#ffa0a0 guibg=NONE SynColor Special term=bold cterm=NONE ctermfg=LightRed ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=Orange guibg=NONE SynColor Identifier term=underline cterm=bold ctermfg=Cyan ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=#40ffff guibg=NONE SynColor Statement term=bold cterm=NONE ctermfg=Yellow ctermbg=NONE gui=bold guifg=#ffff60 guibg=NONE SynColor PreProc term=underline cterm=NONE ctermfg=LightBlue ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=#ff80ff guibg=NONE SynColor Type term=underline cterm=NONE ctermfg=LightGreen ctermbg=NONE gui=bold guifg=#60ff60 guibg=NONE SynColor Underlined term=underline cterm=underline ctermfg=LightBlue gui=underline guifg=#80a0ff SynColor Ignore term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=black ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=bg guibg=NONE else SynColor Comment term=bold cterm=NONE ctermfg=DarkBlue ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=Blue guibg=NONE SynColor Constant term=underline cterm=NONE ctermfg=DarkRed ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=Magenta guibg=NONE SynColor Special term=bold cterm=NONE ctermfg=DarkMagenta ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=SlateBlue guibg=NONE SynColor Identifier term=underline cterm=NONE ctermfg=DarkCyan ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=DarkCyan guibg=NONE SynColor Statement term=bold cterm=NONE ctermfg=Brown ctermbg=NONE gui=bold guifg=Brown guibg=NONE SynColor PreProc term=underline cterm=NONE ctermfg=DarkMagenta ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=Purple guibg=NONE SynColor Type term=underline cterm=NONE ctermfg=DarkGreen ctermbg=NONE gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen guibg=NONE SynColor Underlined term=underline cterm=underline ctermfg=DarkMagenta gui=underline guifg=SlateBlue SynColor Ignore term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=white ctermbg=NONE gui=NONE guifg=bg guibg=NONE endif SynColor Error term=reverse cterm=NONE ctermfg=White ctermbg=Red gui=NONE guifg=White guibg=Red SynColor Todo term=standout cterm=NONE ctermfg=Black ctermbg=Yellow gui=NONE guifg=Blue guibg=Yellow
I'm not quite sure if that affects changing the colorscheme though
Anyway here's what I'm using:
Windows 8.1 MSys2 MinGW64 bash 4.3.46 vim 8.0
gui-that and only a light sprinkling of
ctermI only have a vague idea of what any of that does, but I wonder if the code for changing color in the terminal is actually buggy and that's why the colors are off.