Vi and Vim Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people using the vi and Vim families of text editors. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Often when coding I have this window layout - which is mapped to the flow of the program I am editing.


|            |              |
|            |      B       |
|            |              |
|            |              |
|  A         +--------------+
|            |              |
|            |              |
|            |       C      |
|            |              |

Now I want to open B in a new tab to work on it, but I want to leave the layout of tab1 intact.
Here is my desired outcome.

        tab1                         tab2
+------------+--------------+ +---------------------------+ 
|            |              | |                           | 
|            |      B       | |                           | 
|            |              | |                           | 
|            |              | |            B              | 
|  A         +--------------+ |                           | 
|            |              | |                           | 
|            |              | |                           | 
|            |       C      | |                           | 
|            |              | |                           | 
+------------+--------------+ +---------------------------+ 

What I have tried using vim

  • From inside B, open it in a new tab with <C-w>T.
    The problem is that destroys the B window in tab1.
  • tabe <full path to filename> - this works, but I am trying to find a "shortcut"

What I have tried using ctrlp

  • <C-p>, type in few characters of filename, <C-t>

Unfortunately ctrlp excludes the current buffer from its results, I know I can move to another window, buy I always forget this when I am coding, so I just assume ctrlp cant find the file and resort to some other way to open the file.
Is there a shortcut to open a file in a new tab, leaving the current one intact or to enable ctrlp to include the current buffer in its results?

share|improve this question

:tab split will create a new tab displaying the current buffer, since :tab modifies any command that would normally create a split to instead create a tab page.

If you want to override <C-w>T to do that instead of its default behavior, you can remap it.

nnoremap <silent> <C-w>T :tab split<CR>

You may be wondering why I used :tab split instead of :tabedit %. According to the documentation, :tabedit {file} is just like creating a new tab and then running :edit {file}.

Therefore, it would be a bad idea to use since :edit {file} on a modified buffer would try to reload the buffer. :tab split better fits the behavior you're describing of just opening a new view of the existing buffer.

All that being said, the implementation of :tabedit {file} apparently doesn't act just like :edit {file} since it doesn't actually reload the buffer.

share|improve this answer
Ah very cool, I just tested now, yes so - if you wanted to open the current buffer in a new tab using :tabe %, but the buffer had unsaved changes - vim blocks the action and throws E:37 no write change - add ! to override – the_velour_fog Mar 3 at 1:13

After some research I found a solution.
If you are focused on the buffer/window:

:tabe %

This opens the current buffer in new tab and leaves the current window intact.
why does it leave the old buffer intact when <C-w>T destroys it? I guess its because tabe generally creates a new tab, whereas <C-w>T seems to create a new tab and move the current window and buffer to it.

share|improve this answer

Another way, just for the fun of it…

  • create a new tab page, containing a new window, containing a new empty buffer.
  • then switch to the "alternate file".
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.